Tuesday, December 15, 2009

BBQ and Elvis

That's what first comes to mind when I think of my uncle Gaylen. He is my mom's older brother, and he passed away last week after a brief battle with cancer in his kidneys and lungs. His funeral is today, and I'm sad we can't be there with the rest of my mom's family. He is the first of any of my parents' siblings to pass away, which is a little difficult to think about.
When I was little, I remember him managing BBQ restaurants and at family reunions, he was always the resident BBQ expert. He also loved all things Elvis. From my perspective as a kid, he seemed kind of gruff at times, but he was also a jokster, too. Now, as an adult, I remember him as a fun-loving, faithful and loving person, and a very hard worker. We will greatly miss him!

2 comments:

Christina said...

I am sorry for your loss. What a blessing to have such great memories of him.

Granny said...

I'm sorry about your Uncle Gaylen. Thank you for posting a picture and your memories of him. They help jog my memory about comments your mom has made to me over the years.