Friday, February 13, 2009

Performance Review

In all of the economic doom and gloom that dominates the news lately, it can get a little depressing. There are layoffs and rumors of layoffs everywhere. I have been feeling a little of that storm cloud at work for the last few months. Who doesn't? If nothing else, the recession introduces a nagging uncertainty into everyone's lives. And so we come to the words I heard today that have in the past caused a little bit of a stomach flutter. "Time to do your annual performance review."

I haven't ever really gotten a bad rating on a performance review, but that doesn't change the sinking feeling that one can get when faced with those words. It is akin to the phrase "We need to talk" for relationships. Even if there is nothing wrong, you get hit with a surge of adrenalin and worry.

My review today went very well, despite my initial fight-or-flight response to being notified of it. It may actually be the best review I have ever had, actually. This is the sort of thing that leaves you with a good, warm, fuzzy feeling amid the economic wreckage that litters the business world lately. So my job is safe for the time being, and I might even get a raise if senior management at the company authorizes raises for anyone this year. That is still unknown, unfortunately.

So the word on the street today is, "Phew."

No comments: