Tuesday, April 21, 2009

A Weekend Full of Memories

My Grandpa Pratt's funeral was yesterday. I'm going to wait until I have more pictures to do a post about him, but in the mean time I can write about the weekend. (This picture is of my grandparents on their honeymoon at the Grand Canyon.)

My dad is the oldest of seven kids. Two of his siblings and their families live in the Puget Sound area, and the others and their families started arriving on Friday night and Saturday. All of my grandpa's seven children, 21 grandchildren, and six great-grandchildren were able to come, except for one of my cousins who was still taking finals at BYU. We all gathered at my parents' house for dinner on Saturday. Luckily, the weather cooperated all weekend and we had nice sunny days that allowed for all the cousins to play together outside. On Sunday morning, we all went to church at my grandpa's ward, and then spent the rest of the day at my grandpa's house (my aunt also lives there). The younger kids played while the adults talked about memories of Grandma and Grandpa and growing up. I love listening to those stories! On Sunday night there was a family viewing at the funeral home. My grandpa had nine sister, three of which have already passed on. Four of the remaining six sisters were able to come, along with a handful of my dad's cousins, which was very thoughtful. A few of my grandma's relatives were also able to come. We don't often see them, so it was nice to visit with them.

Monday morning was the funeral. There was a public viewing beforehand, followed by a family prayer, and then the funeral. It was very nice, with life histories by my Uncle Gary and my Aunt Catherine, then my Uncle Mark spoke, followed by a very beautiful musical number from my Uncle Ron and his family. Then the stake president spoke. A member of the Seventy was also there and said a few words at the end. It was a great way to honor the life of a wonderful and faithful servant of God. He was a diligent home teacher, missionary, bishop, stake presidency counselor, mission president, temple worker and sealer, and stake patriarch. He was trusted of the Lord and was given much responsibility. He always strove to live up to his heritage, and left a wonderful example for his posterity to follow.

After the funeral, there was a family lunch at the church (complete with funeral potatoes!), then we all went back to my grandpa's house for more visiting and playing with cousins. After dinner we sat in the living room and watched the Josh and Ryan show for a little while. They had had time to warm up to people and were running around from person to person like crazy monkeys giving hugs and kisses to everyone and each other. It was very adorable. We finished the night with a FHE filled with more memories of Grandpa and Grandma.

I love family reunions, and I had a ton of fun this weekend listening to stories and talking with my aunts, uncles and cousins. We miss Grandpa and Grandma, and that can be sad sometimes, but we know they are busy on the other side of the veil giving service just like they did while here on Earth. I am grateful for a loving Heavenly Father who has a plan for our happiness, and that plan includes being able to see our loved ones again who have passed on. Our life here on Earth is not the beginning, nor will it be the end of our existence. Our time here on Earth is a test, and I believe my grandpa passed that test. I hope I can, too.

2 comments:

Christina said...

What beautiful thoughts! It's nice when the life of the person can truly be honored.

Did he seal you and Adam? I didn't know that he was a sealor!

lisapants said...

Yes, he sealed Adam and me. He also sealed my brother and his wife, along with two of my cousins and their wives. He also gave a few of my cousins their Patriarchal Blessings, which is pretty cool.