Friday, November 7, 2008

Update From Transmissionville

I finally got an answer from the guy at the repair shop about replacing my transmission. Apparently, it is hard to get transmissions for 2003 Corollas because they are in very high demand. What does that mean? It means that a whole lot of people with 2003 Corollas are having this same issue, and there aren't enough replacement transmissions to go around. I found a support forum full of people with 2003 Corollas with manual transmissions with the exact same problem I am having. Many of them talk about how they have contacted Toyota, but Toyota refuses to do anything about it. They will not admit that there is a design or manufacturing flaw in the manual transmissions of 2003 Corollas that is causing a large number of them to fail at comparatively low mileage.

So now I get to try to track down a replacement transmission for my car. Luckily, I have a brother who is an excellent mechanic that is willing to do the actual labor of swapping out the transmission. This will save us literally hundreds of dollars. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any easy way of getting my hands on a new, used, or rebuilt transmission for a 2003 Corolla.

If you have any hookups or know of a way to get a replacement 5-Speed transmission for my car, please let me know.

No comments: