Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Why am I not surprised?

A little disgusted, maybe, but not really surprised.

Living a couple blocks away from Walmart, I end up going there at least twice a week. Today when Joshua and I went on a milk run, I was greeted by a huge Christmas tree as we enter the store and all the Christmas stuff was up all around the store. I sighed.

I enjoy celebrating Christmas as much as the next person, but I enjoy celebrating Christmas AFTER Thanksgiving, not THE MINUTE Halloween is over. It just irks me that Thanksgiving is glossed over or disregarded completely for the more marketable holiday of Christmas. It starts earlier every year, and the commercialization of the holiday really gets to me.

4 comments:

Tim and Angie said...

Our Walmart put their decorations up the week before Halloween. I walked in looking for Halloween candy and found Christmas! Even I thought that was too early.

the sheldons said...

I take offense to that! Kidding! But Dean and I are one of the people you can't stand that put their Christman decorations up the second Halloween is over. It's the best time of the year and we love the look and the feelings that our pimped out Christmas house gives us. Sorry, we cannot change.

AdamOndi said...

We would probably be more excited to put up Christmas decorations, too, if the punks in our neighborhood wouldn't yank down the lights as soon as I put them up. Ugh. It makes me want to sit on the roof with a shotgun filled with rock salt.

lisapants said...

Chelle - I have no problem with people putting up decorations crazy early in their own home. It's when the stores do it expressly for milking out all the profit they can from the holiday that bugs me.

I'm glad your decorations make you happy.